Skip to main content

Portal 2 Review (PS3)

   
     To be completely honest, Portal 2 was one of those games that I was weary to give a shot. It, too me, just looked completely ridiculous. I kept telling myself, "there is no way in hell that I am going to be wasting my time on such a twisted game lacking a sense of reality." Well, this last week I got my hands on a copy of Portal 2 for my Sony Playstation 3. Now I guess you can say... I am thinking with Portals.

     Just to give you guys a simple plot overview, you awaken as an apparent "lab rat" at the Aperture Science Facility to a very agitated artificial intelligence bot. Well guess what? Apparently the world has gone "apocalyptic" according the cute little android with a British accent. Now you find yourself (the only human being) trying to locate your precious Portal gun, which allows you to get from Point A to Point B quickly. As you and your new pal Wheatley attempt to escape the facility, the very pissed off AI in charge is awakened. That's right, she's wants revenge and she gets it alright. Now, you are the ultimate experiment.

     Now, lets talk gameplay. Portal 2 brings about a very dynamic gameplay style that is simplified to the point where almost anyone can get into the dimension splitting action of the game. For example, the Playstation 3 controller uses both the first left and right bumpers (L1 and R1) to emit the portals from your nifty gun. It is important to keep in mind that neither portal is an entrance or an exit portal. It all has to do with the surgical and precise placement of the portal. To keep things even more simple, the developers at Valve color coated the portal, making one blue and one orange, to help keep track of them good ole' suckers.

     In addition to the portal controls, the game includes a series of differing textures with unique abilities. The most interesting of them, in my opinion of course, has to be the "Propulsion Gel." This orange covered gel allows you to move significantly faster on foot, which ultimately aids you on your quests to traverse the many chambers of the game.

     After taking the plunge into the world of Portal 2, I found myself submerged in an overall enjoyable experience. However, my only complaint with the game would have to be the cooperative mode and it's lack of "ease." Now bear with me when I say the word "ease," because you may most likely be under the impression that the cooperative gameplay is quite difficult. The lack of ease I am referring to is the initial process that it takes to get into a cooperative game online. There are no lobbies, or matchmaking rooms. To get to the point, the only way that you can get through the cooperative mode is to play with some one on your friends list, or split screen. The problem that I have had is the lack of friends that actively play the game, as well as not having a second controller.

     In the end, I offer Portal 2 my rejoice. On my scale, Portal 2 ranks exceptionally well. Would I recommend Portal 2? Hell yeah, I guarantee you will not regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Batman: Arkham City "Pay Your Respects" Achievement/Trophy Guide

Get some help earning the "Pay Your Respect" achievement/trophy in Batman: Arkham City.  

Firefox Add-on Helps Earn Swagbucks using Swagbucks TV

Learn how to earn from Swagbucks TV without doing anything with this Firefox Addon.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies IPod Touch, IPhone and IPad,

Get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies on your iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad with this sweet application. Now you can get the very intense Call of Duty: Black Ops zombies on your favorite Apple handheld. Slay massive hordes of zombies away from home with the IPod Touch, IPhone, and IPad adaptations of the game.